Why You Need to Join Facebook Groups
Are you looking for a FREE way to expose your brand even more on Facebook? Yes? Well we’ve got the answer: FACEBOOK GROUPS. Specifically, Facebook groups in your niche! A lot of entrepreneurs and small business owners discard Facebook for business for two reasons. 1 - either they don’t understand the purpose of using it, or 2 - they don’t utilize it properly (and in return don’t get the results they want). Ready, set, JOIN A FACEBOOK GROUP. Before you jump into Facebook Group joining however, there are a few facts that you need to know.
- Groups are either PUBLIC or PRIVATE: Public means anyone on Facebook can see the group page + the news feed and anyone can comment in it. Private means anyone can see the group page but you need to request to join to see the news feed and comment. From our experience, private groups have more quality content because only people approved for the group can post.
2. Don’t join a ton of Facebook groups: Joining a ton of Facebook groups all at once may sound like a great idea. Perhaps you’re thinking “YES! Let’s do this. I can now connect with a ton of people in my niche. Think of the exposure my brand is about to get!” But don’t get too carried away. We’ve been guilty of doing this ourselves, so we know it’s as far from a good idea as possible.
To get the most out of groups, you need to engage with posts and other group members. Easy enough. Yet, it is also very time consuming.
To give a little insight: if you join, for example, 4 groups, you could easily spend about 1-1.5 hours a day engaging within them. That’s about 8-9 hours a week! There’s so many people to connect to and you’ll be exposed to so many new brands, that you could easily feel like you could definitely spend more. It’s awesome! But, that level of engagement requires time.
Imagine if you joined 10?! Also, some Facebook groups may be spammy or poorly run. It’s important to take the time to hunt out the good ones. It’s worth it!
3. Facebook groups are supportive: Facebook groups are a great place to ask for advice, gain/give feedback, and share content with people who share similar interests and goals. We know from experience that it’s great to engage with others in your niche and gain more clients.
TIP: Just because you are in the same niche doesn’t mean you have the same skills. TIME TO COLLABORATE
LET’S TALK ABOUT GROUP ETIQUETTE:
- Post Less – Communicate More: Use the 80/20 rule when engaging in Facebook group. Engage with people 80% of the time and post your content 20% of your time. And don’t be a ‘lurker’, answer questions, give advice, and link your content or other related articles if you think it’ll be helpful to others in the group.
2. Nobody likes a Salesman: If you are constantly posting about your business and your content, people may get annoyed and you will lost your authenticity. It may come across that you joined the group for selfish purposes and not to be part of a community.
Opportunities outweigh the Challenges: One of the main challenges people face in Facebook groups is what we like to call the “unknown love.” This is when you are posting but you don’t know the response you are getting in return (aka analytics). Too many people focus so intently on how many people see their posts, that they forget to count the highly-engaged interactions they have with people. Ultimately, having five meaningful conversations means more than 50 post views. Keep that in mind. If you are part of any groups, or will be joining after being inspired by this post, reach out to people – & engage!
Follow us on Instagram for more small business marketing strategies
Tweet us here
Leave us a message here