Share: 

VIA and Rehoboth library unveils historic marker

Dignitaries and Village Improvement Association members gathered at the Rehoboth library to celebrate the historic marker. Shown are (l-r) VIA member Barbara Beatty; Rehoboth Library Director Allison Miller; Sen. Ernie Lopez, R-Lewes; VIA President Rose Marie Patin; State Archivist Stephen Marz; Speaker of the House Rep. Pete Schwartzkopf, D-Rehoboth; Rehoboth Commissioner Kathy McGuiness; and Mayor Paul Kuhns.
October 12, 2017

A historical marker unveiled at Rehoboth Beach Public Library celebrates the beginning of the library in the home of Village Improvement Association members in 1912, when Mary Riggins secured a state grant of $37.50 that the VIA matched to establish a free library.

After leaving member homes, the library moved to a schoolroom, the fire hall, the basement of Epworth UM Church, the porch of Annie Hazzard, the municipal center and the old telephone company building on Rehoboth Avenue. In 1986, VIA member Noan Juan Craft donated the adjacent lot to be used as a reading garden, and the city donated the telephone building in 1995; a building fund was initiated and a new library was built.

The VIA supports the library with financial contributions and volunteer hours. VIA President Rose Marie Patin has chosen Rehoboth Beach Public Library as her special project and has re-invigorated the VIA’s relationship with the library.