UPDATE: Fire destroys Red Mill Pond home

January 8, 2018

A fire destroyed a Red Mill Pond home Jan. 8.

Firefighters from Lewes, Rehoboth and Milton responded to the home at about 9:50 a.m. in the Red Mill Pond north area, said Warren Jones, spokesman for the Rehoboth Beach Fire Co.

The house on Preserve Drive off Sweetbriar Road was in flames when firefighters arrived, Jones said.

“The house is totally destroyed,” he said. “It’s on the ground.”

Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio said two people were taken to Beebe Healthere for smoke inhalation. A 73-year-old man was taken to Crozer Medical Center in Pennsylvania where he is in stable condition, Chionchio said.

Chionchio estimated damage to the home was $300,000; Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Harry Miller said total damage was $400,000 which included the home and five surrounding homes.

Jones said the home is a newer-style home made of engineered wood that burns quickly because it is made of wood particles that are glued together, and not solid wood.

Modern, wide-open floor plans coupled with the large number of petroleum-based products inside homes today, also help fuel fires when they begin, he said.

“The fire load in the homes is tremendous when the fire gets started,” Jones said.

Miller said the fire started in a porch area and was caused by an electrical malfunction of an electrical strip that had several appliances plugged into it.