Share: 

Smoke, fire cause $5,000 damage at Polo outlet

March 22, 2018

A fire March 22 in the Ralph Lauren Polo outlet caused $5,000 in damage, officials say.

Firefighters from Rehoboth Beach, Indian River and Lewes responded to the Midway Outlets at 4:19 a.m. for an automatic fire alarm and found a smoke-filled store, said Harry Miller, chief deputy state fire marshal.

A sprinkler system was activated and kept flames under control, Miller said. No one was injured.

Miller said the fire was caused by a malfunction in a fluorescent light fixture which ignited combustible material nearby. He said damage was $5,000.