Sports Briefs

January 13, 2018

Prime Hook refuge public-use area to close Jan. 20 for deer hunt

The public-use area of Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, which includes the Visitor Contact Station, will be closed all day Saturday, Jan. 20, due to deer hunting. Only permitted hunters will have access to the headquarters area. Visitors should plan accordingly. For more information, call the refuge office at 302-684-8419.

Deer hunting opportunities in January

For hunters still looking to harvest a deer or add more venison to their freezers, January offers several opportunities as the 2017-18 hunting season winds down.

Deer hunting seasons opening in January:

  • Handgun Deer: Jan. 6-13
  • Shotgun Deer: Jan. 13-20, including Sunday, Jan. 14
  • Muzzleloader Deer: Jan. 22-27

Note: Deer archery and crossbow seasons will remain open until Jan. 31. 

In other hunting news, hunters planning on participating in the 2018 Snow Goose Conservation Order are reminded to register for a free Snow Goose Conservation Order number on the Hunter and Trapper Registration website on or after Jan. 1, as the Snow Goose Conservation Order opens Feb. 12. Hunters participating in the Conservation Order must register through the HTR website prior to hunting and report their hunting activities after they have finished pursuing snow geese for the season. Hunters who do not have access to the internet may call 302-735-3600 and will need their hunting license or license-exempt number to complete the registration. Snow goose hunters will also need to obtain a HIP number if they have not already done so.  

Also, new this year, registered motor vehicles used to access designated public lands owned or managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife are required to display a Delaware Conservation Access Pass. Hunters can opt to receive one free annual vehicle pass with the purchase of any Delaware hunting license. To obtain a free CAP, or to purchase an additional pass, hunters will need to have the registration card for the vehicle to which the pass will be assigned.

Delaware hunting licenses, state waterfowl stamps, and conservation access passes can be purchased online, at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office at 89 Kings Highway, Dover, or from hunting license dealers statewide.

Hard copies of the guide and hunting maps are available at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office. More information is available by calling the Wildlife Section office at 302-739-9912.