Police: Georgetown man, Michael Rogers, shot and arrested after fight with trooper

August 2, 2013

A 53-year-old Georgetown man is in critical condition after he was shot Aug. 1 by a trooper who went to his home to question him about a traffic accident.

Michael W. Rogers of 22507 Deep Branch Road was charged with second-degree assault of a police officer and resisting arrest with force or violence – both felonies.

Trooper First Class Matthew Morgan, 28, a three-year member of Troop 4 in Georgetown, went to Rogers' home at 10:11 p.m. to question Rogers about a hit-and-run accident that occurred earlier in the evening in Millsboro, said Sgt. Paul Shavack, spokesman for the Delaware State Police.

The accident happened about 9 p.m. in the parking lot of the Riverside Inn when a car registered to Rogers backed into an unoccupied parked car before driving off, Shavack said.

Shavack said Rogers was highly intoxicated when the trooper questioned him inside the home; Rogers became uncooperative, and Shavack said a violent struggle ensued.

During the fight, Shavack said the trooper deployed his police Taser, which was ineffective.

"The prongs may not have made contact," Shavack said, adding police are investigating whether drugs or alcohol could have been a factor in the Taser's ineffectiveness.

Following the Taser failure, Shavack said, the trooper discharged several rounds from his police-issued weapon, striking Rogers in the upper body and lower extremities. The exact location of the gunshots is not released, Shavack said.

As the investigation continues, Shavack said, more information will be released. However, he said, there has been no re-evaluation of the use-of-force continuum police officers use to determine whether deadly force is necessary.

"We feel confident with the force continuum utilized," he said.

Rogers was committed to the Department of Correction on $9,500 secured bond, but remains at Beebe Medical Center in critical condition.

The trooper also was taken to Beebe Medical Center, where he was treated for injuries and released. He has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, Shavack said.