Man shot by officer moved to prison

Trooper on leave pending Attorney General investigation
A small scratch on the left corner of the rear bumper is the only mark on the plastic bumper of Michael Rogers' car. BY MELISSA STEELE
August 23, 2013

The Georgetown man shot five times inside his home Aug. 1 by a state trooper has been moved to Sussex Correctional Institution.

Michael W. Rogers, 53, was in his Deep Branch Road home when a trooper showed up at about 10 p.m. to question him about a reported hit-and-run incident earlier in the evening. The two fought before Trooper First Class Matthew Morgan, 28, a three-year member of Troop 4 in Georgetown, fired nine shots at Rogers, hitting him five times, said his mother, Lorraine Rogers.

Lorraine said she let Morgan inside to talk to Michael, but Morgan followed Rogers into his bedroom and the two began fighting. Police said Morgan used a Taser on Rogers, but it was ineffective; Lorraine said Rogers had the officer in a headlock whilethey were fighting in the bedroom.

The trooper left the bedroom, and when Rogers and Lorraine both walked into the living area, Lorraine said, the trooper was standing near the front door with his gun drawn.

"He had plenty of time to call for back up," she said. "But he didn't chose to do that. He stood there like he was going to shoot Michael."

Rogers flipped over a table, Lorraine said, and at that point Morgan shot Rogers in the shoulder, arm, torso, leg and groin.

Police charged Rogers with second-degree assault of a police office and resisting arrest with force or violence – both felonies. He is being held on $9,500 secured bond; Lorraine said she probably will put up the bond, but she first wants to make sure Rogers is recovering.

Lorraine said Rogers has not been charged at all in connection with the alleged hit-and-run. She said she went to the Riverside Grill and asked some people there what happened. She was told Rogers broke an ornamental license plate holder on a parked car.

“They said he broke off a snake on the frame,” she said.

Sgt. Paul Shavack, spokesman for the Delaware State Police would not say whether Rogers has been charged in connection with a hit-and-run. He declined further comment because there is "an ongoing and active investigation into the matter."

Rogers' black 300 Chrysler remains parked at his home on Deep Branch Road. Its plastic bumper has a small scratch, but is otherwise undamaged.

Department of Corrections spokesman John Painter said Rogers was moved to SCI on Aug. 12, and believes Rogers may be in the infirmary.

Lorraine said she has not yet heard from Rogers; she has not scheduled a visitation with him because she did not know where he was. In a press release following the shooting, Delaware State Police said Rogers was taken to Beebe Medical Center for treatment.

Now that Rogers is at SCI, Lorraine said, she hopes she will get more information.

She said she has fielded calls from defense attorneys in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware offering their services, but she is still unsure how to proceed.

"I don't think the officer used very good judgment. Michael could have died," she said.

Morgan has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation by the Attorney General's Office.

Jason Miller, spokesman for the AG's Office, said his office is investigating the officer-involved-shooting; it may take several weeks before the investigation is complete.

Welcome to The Cape Gazette Archive.
This content is provided free of charge
thanks to our sponsor:

Close ad in...

Close Ad