Dozens of firefighters from three departments with more than 12 pieces of equipment answered an alarm around 11 a.m. March 12 for a fire north of Lewes. Thick, black billowing smoke could be seen from miles away.
The fire damaged two garages near a home in the 16000 block of Willow Creek Road. Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Harry Miller said the accidental blaze was caused when embers from an outside fire ignited the first garage. The fire spread to a second garage before firefighters had it under control. Damage is estimated at $50,000.
The alarm was answered by the Lewes Fire Department with assistance from Milton and Rehoboth Beach. No injuries were reported.