The Georgetown Historical Society has set the schedule for Old Court House tours for spring and summer 2014. The structure will be open for visitors from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on all Saturdays April through September. Also, the historic building will be open during special events in Georgetown such as Return Day and the Spring into Spring Festival.
The Old Court House was Georgetown’s first court house, being constructed on The Circle in 1792. In 1836, it was moved to its present location 100 feet south of The Circle at 5 South Bedford St. and fully restored to its original condition in 1976 in celebration of the nation’s bicentennial.
Although most court house visitors are locals or visitors to Sussex County beaches, people have come to see the building from foreign lands as far away as Australia. In 2013, more than 1,000 people visited the Old Court House even though it was only open two hours on weekends.
Admission and tours are free of charge, and abundant parking is available.