First Town Club takes spring excursion to Milford

Gathered on the steps of the Milford Museum are in back (l-r) Inge Gallagher, Laura Troxell, Pat Hall, Rose Canavan and Ina Appolito; third row, Meg Mocci, Joan Tabano and Adrienne Ponzini; second row, Terry Palumbo, Jeanne Roop, Maddy Coss, Rita Daniel, Mary Moran and Delores Wardwell. In front are Nancy Norton, Mary Rolio, Elaine Showers, Carol Bradford, Marianne Sheran, Barbara Roecker and Dottie Papp. SOURCE SUBMITTED
April 26, 2014

On a cool but sunny spring day April 8, members and guests of the First Town Club of Lewes enjoyed a tour of historic Milford. Members started with a visit to the Milford Museum, which was established in 1983 in the original Milford Post Office building downtown. A Civil War cannon greeted visitors as they entered. The group learned about the opening shot that started the Civil War and visited an exhibit documenting Delaware's involvement in the conflict.

The group also toured the 1763 Revival Causey Mansion, which has been operated as a bed and breakfast since 1986. Gov. Peter Foster Causey, the 39th governor of Delaware, lived in this mansion.

After lunch, the group toured the Parson Thorne Mansion on Silver Hill. This historic building lies within a 1,750-acre Duke of York land patent called Saw Mill Range granted to a Henry Bowman in 1680.