When the Ocean View Historical Society was a fledgling organization in 2008, it restored the 1860 Tunnell West House, a gift from the town, and the 1889 post office, a gift from a local resident.
As time went on, it also received a 1901 Gothic Victorian farmhouse and outbuildings, and it was decided that this property could become the Coastal Towns Museum to include the towns of Southeast Baltimore Hundred, which are Millville, Bethany Beach, South Bethany and Fenwick Island.
The mission of OVHS changed to include these towns, and the organization’s name was changed to Coastal Towns Historic Village in Ocean View.
Just 13 years later, thanks to the generosity of devoted members, the town, the State of Delaware, and several benevolent donors, the village includes the Coastal Towns Museum, the Tunnell West House, the post office, and a wonderful replica (built with Mountaire’s help) of Ocean View resident Cecile Steele’s original chicken house which started the broiler industry. Also, in 2020, a vision became a reality when Hall’s Store Visitors and Education Center was completed. Originally, the small town of Ocean View was called Hall’s Store, and this was the hub of activity.
With most of these additions and improvements complete, the Coastal Towns Historic Village in Ocean View will be open from 1 to 3 p.m., each Wednesday, June 16 to Aug. 25. It will also be open for all Town of Ocean View activities for the rest of the year.
The village is located at 39 Central Ave. in Ocean View, on the north side of John West park, and at 40 West Ave., south of the park. Visitors should use the parking lots by the park.
For more information, go to ovhistoricalsociety.org.