Share: 

Giant Food evacuated over smoking light fixture

July 10, 2018

Smoke from a malfunctioning light fixture caused the Giant on Route 1 to be evacuated July 9.

A haze near the ceiling of the grocery store was reported about 9:15 p.m., and firefighters from Rehoboth, Lewes and Indian River evacuated the store to investigate, said Warren Jones, spokesman for the Rehoboth Beach Fire Department.

Jones said there were no flames, and firefighters scoured the roof and ceiling to find the malfunctioning light fixture. No one was injured, he said.