Renovation work on both Sussex County courthouses in Georgetown is expected to be completed in time for Return Day in November. Work includes new exterior shingles, interior plaster repair, window and shutter repair and repainting on the old courthouse and painting of the cupola on the current courthouse.
The old courthouse – once located on The Circle – served as the county’s courthouse from 1792 to 1837 before being moved to South Bedford Street where it was a residence and printing shop. The Georgetown Historical Society took over stewardship of the building in 1976. The current courthouse was opened in 1839 and the cupola was added in 1914.