A Millsboro man is the latest Delaware resident to face charges in connection with entering the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.
In a criminal complaint filed Jan. 10 in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Nicholas Lattanzi is charged with entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly conduct in a capitol building; and parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a capitol building.
The 15-page complaint includes interviews with Lattanzi at his Millsboro home, photos taken by Lattanzi of his trip to Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, and surveillance photos showing Lattanzi inside the U.S. Capitol after the entrances had been breached.
During an April interview with Officer Patrick J. Ramone, Lattanzi said he traveled to Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, 2021, to support his president, and he did not receive guidance from anyone or any group. He also said he did not enter the building. A day later, however, Lattanzi, with his attorney present, amended his previous statement.
Lattanzi said he entered the U.S. Capitol building through an open door and left after three minutes inside when a law enforcement officer told him to leave. “The officer told me to exit, and I did,” Lattanzi said in the criminal complaint.
Lattanzi said he did not steal anything from the building and had no physical contact with police. A friend of Lattanzi, interviewed by Ramone, told Ramone that Lattanzi described the scene as nuts. The friend also said he could smell pepper spray on Lattanzi, enough to make the person’s eyes burn, according to the complaint.
The friend said Lattanzi told him he was hit with batons and sprayed with pepper spray as he exited the Capitol building. “Lattanzi did not say anything about assaulting or fighting with police,” the person stated in the complaint.
According to U.S. District Court, Lattanzi was arrested Jan. 11 in Delaware. There is no information on when he will be arraigned.