Route 1 crash north of Milford claims life of N.Y. woman

October 7, 2018

A 75-year-old Buffalo, N.Y., woman died Oct. 5 following a crash on Route 1 north of Milford. The crash happened at 1:17 p.m. when a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville was traveling northbound in the left lane of Route 1 south of the Thompsonville Road exit ramp, said Sgt. Richard Bratz of the Delaware State Police. A 2016 Toyota RAV-4 was traveling northbound in the left lane of Route 1 directly in front of the Pontiac Bonneville when the driver of the Bonneville ran into the rear of the RAV-4. This collision caused the driver of the Rav-4 to lose control and cross the grass median into the southbound lanes of travel, Bratz said. In the left lane of southbound Route 1, Bratz said, the RAV-4 struck a 2006 GMC Yukon in a near head-on collision, forcing the Yukon into the right travel lane of southbound Route 1. A 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis traveling southbound in the right lane of Route 1 was struck on the left side by the right side of the Yukon, causing the Grand Marquis to exit the right side of the roadway and strike a utility pole with its front end, Bratz said. Following the chain-reaction collision, the Bonneville continued northbound and came to a controlled stop within the center grass median. The RAV-4 rotated slightly counter-clockwise and came to an uncontrolled stop near the yellow divider line of the southbound lanes of Route 1. The Yukon came to a stop on the grassy shoulder of Route 1.

Rosemary Holmberg of Buffalo, N.Y., a passenger in the Grand Marquis, died from injuries after she was taken to Kent General Hospital. The driver of the Pontiac Bonneville, Shane R. Fenimore, 28, of Millsboro, was not injured. A computer check revealed he had an active capias warrant from the Sussex County Court of Common Pleas. He was taken into custody and transported to the court. The investigation is ongoing and charges are pending, Bratz said.

The driver of the Toyota RAV-4, a 52-year-old Rehoboth Beach man, was transported and admitted to Milford Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries. His passenger, a 46-year-old Millsboro man, was also transported to Milford Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries. The driver and passenger of the GMC Yukon, a man, 47, and a woman, 53, both from New Jersey were transported to Milford Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries. 

The driver of the Mercury Grand Marquis, a 76-year-old New York man, was admitted to Kent General Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries.

All drivers and passengers were wearing their seat belts.

The roadway in the area of the crash was closed for about two hours while the investigation was completed and the roadway was cleared.