Two separate fires March 22 near Rehoboth Beach caused damage to the homes, but no one was injured.
Rehoboth Beach firefighters responded to the first scene about 9:30 a.m. when a chimney fire was reported at a home on Kings Creek Circle in the Kings Creek Country Club neighborhood, said Warren Jones, spokesman for the Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Co. Firefighters found the chimney was clogged and a fire in the fireplace ignited the clog, causing flames to shoot three feet out of the chimney top, Jones said. The clog was cleared out and the fire was extinguished.
A short time later, Jones said, crews responded to a brush fire near a house on Bayview Avenue in the Seabreeze subdivision west of Dewey Beach. Upon arrival, Jones said, firefighters found that the fire had extended into the house, but they were able to quickly extinguish it. Damage was held to the outside with some extension into the garage. The State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating.
There were no injuries at either incident, Jones said.