An electrical malfunction Sept. 22 caused $100,000 in damage to a row of buildings in downtown Milton.
The fire began about noon in the 100 block of Federal Street, an area next to both the Milton police department and Milton fire department.
Smoke and flames were coming out of the rear of the structure when Milton firefighters arrived. They were assisted by firefighters from Lewes and Ellendale.
The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal determined that the fire was started by an appliance electrical malfunction on an exterior deck of a second-floor unit, said John Galaska, chief deputy state fire marshal.
The building was occupied at the time of the fire and occupants were able to escape without injury, he said. The structure was equipped with working smoke detectors, and there were no other reported injuries. Galaska said.