Cape soccer wins physical game over Newark 3-1

Team bounces back from 1-0 overtime loss at Smyrna
April 16, 2018

Cape soccer got stung in overtime at Smyrna 1-0 April 12, but 48 hours later on the pitch of Champions Stadium, coach Patrick Kilby was telling his team, “Now you are back where you belong after whatever happened in Smyrna. You are a good team and a tough team, bouncing back to beat a good Newark team 3-1. I’ll see you all at practice Monday and will talk some more. Next week we have Sussex Academy and Sussex Central, so it will be a big week for us.”

Cape improved to 4-1 on the season, while Newark dropped to 3-2.

Lindsey Swontek rang the bell 13 minutes into the first half, lofting a pass from Brooke Hollingsworth over goalie Brianna Espinal for a score. At 25 minutes, it was Madi Nichols finding the net with a header off a corner kick from Madi Swontek to pad the lead 2-0.

Newark, which played a physical style of soccer throughout the game, regrouped at halftime and decided to push the pace into the offensive end, hoping to score a goal and get back in the game.

Alondra Hernandez beat the defense and Cape goalie Lucy Siranides to score at 52 minutes on a direct kick, closing the gap to 2-1.

“They were aggressive and feisty,” said defender Leah Marsh. “Really, it was a fun game.”

Lindsey Swontek made sure it ended high on the fun meter, as she buried a shot from out front off an assist from her sister Madi at 68 minutes to push the lead to 3-1.

Cape had a 13-7 advantage in shots, with Siranides recording six saves – some of them acrobatic.

Brianna Espinal had 10 saves for the Yellowjackets.

In the Smyrna game, the Eagles’ Destiny Zapata scored one minute into overtime on an assist from Hannah Osborne to secure a 1-0 victory April 12. The Eagles had just two more shots than the Vikings at 14-12.

Siranides made 13 saves in the OT loss for Cape, while Smyrna keeper Cassidy Cook tallied 12.

Cape will host Sussex Academy at 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, April 17, at Champions Stadium.