Share: 

Knights of Columbus chapter donates to three local organizations

August 20, 2017

What can a Tootsie Roll do each day for people in the local area who are intellectually challenged? Ask someone from the Sussex Consortium school, Children's Beach House and Chimes in Millsboro.

Each year, members of the Knights of Columbus Star of the Sea Council 7297 gather at St. Edmond Catholic Church in Rehoboth to collect donations; in appreciation, the donor is offered a Tootsie Roll. The Knights of Columbus has no official tie to Tootsie Rolls or their manufacturer.

All donations to the Tootsie Roll Campaign are given to charities that work with intellectually challenged people. In all, 25 percent of the donations benefit Special Olympics and the remaining 75 percent is given locally in Sussex County to charities to benefit intellectually challenged individuals.

Chimes Delaware received a donation for $1,493 from the Knights of Columbus Star of the Sea Council 7297. With this donation, Chimes Delaware will be able to make updates and repairs to the Irv & Phyllis Levin Employment Center in Millsboro, which offers a variety of day support and employment options to people with intellectual disabilities.

"Chimes Delaware is proud to be a part of the community in all three counties in Delaware, and we are so fortunate we receive the support we do from outstanding groups like the Knights of Columbus," said John Mahon, COO of Chimes Delaware. "Like Chimes, the Knights believe in making a difference at the local level to improve the lives of the most vulnerable members of our society."

The Sussex Consortium received a donation of $1,508. The check was presented at the 2017 Blockhouse Pond Walk and Run May 12.

Children's Beach House received a donation of $1,493. The check was presented at the beach house in Lewes June 27.

Welcome to The Cape Gazette Archive.
This content is provided free of charge
thanks to our sponsor:

Close ad in...

Close Ad