School Property Tax Relief Changes for 65+

February 22, 2013

This is important information that very few people seem to know about. On June 28, 2012, the Governor signed a bill (H.B. 209) which made changes in the State’s Senior Property Tax Program.

Three year Residency Required

If you establish residency in Delaware after December 31, 2012, you will be required to have been legally domiciled with the State for a period of at least 3 consecutive years in order to be eligible to received a credit.

That means you must have established Delaware as your Primary Residence, not as a second home or vacation home.

If you are approaching 65 or have already turned 65 and plan to make a move to Delaware, you may want to think seriously about doing it now! If you wrote a contract this month, you could do it. You could be in your new home by December!