State Farm is ready to help customers affected by Hurricane Sandy. State Farm’s priority is making sure everyone is safe and taking care of customers’ needs as quickly as possible.
State Farm’s state-of-the-art catastrophe team, the industry’s largest mobile workforce of experienced claim representatives, is ready to respond quickly. Catastrophe response vehicles are deploying to affected cities to best serve State Farm policyholders as they begin the claim process.
Once it is safe to do so, customers should call their State Farm agent to report claims or report a claim by calling the toll-free number 1-800-SFCLAIM (800-732-5246). This number is currently active for all areas affected by Hurricane Sandy. Report a claim on StateFarm.com or report an automobile claim on a mobile phone using the Pocket Agent® app.
After the storm, make reasonable temporary repairs to protect property from further damage, if possible: board up windows and holes; remove water and provide ventilation to speed drying; clean and dry furniture.
If one has a covered loss, these repairs may be reimbursed. Save receipts if items such as tarps and plywood or other supplies to make repairs were purchased.
If the power is out:
If possible, use flashlights instead of candles for emergency lighting. Candles used in unfamiliar settings can be dangerous fire hazards.
Turn off or disconnect any appliances, equipment, or electronics that were on when the power went out. When power comes back on, it may come back with momentary surges or spikes that can damage equipment such as computers and motors in appliances like the air conditioner, refrigerator, washer, or furnace.
Leave one light on so one knows when the power returns.
Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer. This will help keep food as fresh as possible. Be sure to check food for signs of spoilage.
Use generators safely. If there is a portable generator, only run it outdoors with adequate ventilation. Never use a generator indoors or in attached garages. The exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide, which can be deadly if inhaled. Listen to the radio for updates.