U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary conducts Change of Watch ceremony

December 12, 2012

The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Unit in Lewes held a Change of Watch ceremony Dec. 2 at the Lewes Yacht Club, where the new commander and vice commander were sworn in.

Pictured are (l-r) Commander Stephen H. Smyk; Lt. R. Preston, the OIC of the Roosevelt Inlet Coast Guard Station in Lewes; and Vice Commander and Executive Officer Timothy Precht.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary is a civilian force multiplier for the U.S. Coast Guard and follows the traditions and training established by the Coast Guard. The auxiliary, established in 1939, has more than 30,000 members who serve in various locations and duties for the Coast Guard. Much of the training for the auxiliary is conducted at the various Coast Guard facilities including the TRACEN (training center) at Cape May, N.J. One of the primary duties designated by the Coast Guard to the auxiliary is boating safety, including public education and vessel safety checks.