Grant funding is now available for local and state governments and nonprofit organizations to increase Delaware’s coastal resiliency through sea level rise adaptation planning and research. The grant program, through DNREC’s Delaware Coastal Programs, provides funding to plan for and reduce the impacts of coastal hazards related to sea level rise, coastal storms and climate change.
With these competitive grants, Delaware Coastal Programs will provide financial and technical assistance through implementation adaptation options identified by the Delaware Sea Level Rise Advisory Committee, such as the development of ordinances, comprehensive land use plans, and infrastructure capacity and improvement planning.
Proposals should address one or more of the following:
•Planning grants: Projects that seek to improve Delaware’s resiliency to sea level rise and coastal storms, including:
• Assessments of local land use ordinances, zoning codes and building codes for the purpose of identifying barriers and opportunities and recommending improvements
• Local sea level rise vulnerability assessments and/or adaptation plans
Planning and design of on-the-ground adaptation projects
Research grants: Projects that seek to improve knowledge and understanding of:
• Wetland migration and barriers to inland migration
• Social, environmental and economic costs of sea level rise adaptation strategies
• Secondary and cumulative impacts of adaptation strategies
• Legal framework for adaptation
Proposals are due to the Delaware Coastal Programs Office no later than 3 p.m., Friday, March 15. Additional information, including the Request for Proposals and application cover page, are located at de.gov/coastalgrants.
Applicants are encouraged to correspond with DCP staff to ensure projects meet grant criteria and to develop a cooperative working relationship that continues throughout the duration of projects that are awarded grant funding.
For more information, contact Bonnie Arvay at Bonnie.Arvay@state.de.us or Robert Scarborough at Bob.Scarborough@state.de.us, or call Delaware Coastal Programs, 302-739-9283.