Capt. James S. Roberts recently donated funds to allow The Lewes Historical Society to purchase a rare U.S. Lighthouse Establishment wall clock. What sets the clock apart is its critical local connection. The clock was sent to the Cape Henlopen Lighthouse keeper William Elligood about 1850 when the E. Howard & Co. of Boston, Mass. was awarded a contract to provide clocks to the USLHE.
Elligood served as keeper of Henlopen Light from 1849-1853 and on the inside of the clock door it is inscribed "Wm. Elligood - Henlopen." The regulator-style clock is not as common as Howard's banjo-style clocks which were more readily found at light stations.
The clock is on display on the second floor of the Cannonball House Lewes Maritime Museum and has its original weight and key. Judith Roales contributed funds for transport of the clock to Lewes.
Shown (l-r) with the clock are James Roberts, his sons Steve and Michael and Society Executive Director Mike DiPaolo. The clock was purchased in memory of the late Judith Atkins Roberts, past president of the society.