A new state historical marker now stands in front of a Sussex County church that has been serving the spiritual needs of the community for more than 100 years.
McColley’s Chapel, northwest of Georgetown, has served six generations of worshipers. Built in 1858, the original structure was destroyed by fire, but the Methodist meeting house that was built atop the ashes of its predecessor has been at the site since 1898.
Rep. Dave Wilson, R-Cedar Creek Hundred, and former state senator Joe Booth funded the commemorative marker through their Community Transportation Fund allotments.
In unveiling the new marker April 14, Wilson and Booth were joined by the Rev. Betty Jo MaGee, who currently conducts services at the chapel, along with officials from Delaware Public Archives.
Shown at the unveiling are (l-r) Wilson, MaGee, Florence Webb, Brenda Enders, Sandra Rockemann, Delaware Public Archives Director Stephen M. Marz, Booth and the Rev. Boyd Etter.