The meat industry is pretty scary
I am not scared of all the witches, zombies and assorted goblins wandering about on Halloween. What really scares me is the meat industry.
This is the industry that:
• Mutilates, cages, and butchers billions of cows, pigs and other sentient animals
• Feeds carcasses of cats and dogs killed in pounds to chickens
• Exposes undocumented workers to chronic workplace injuries at slave wages
• Exploits farmers and ranchers by dictating wholesale market prices
• Punishes documentation of its abuses through unconstitutional "ag-gag" laws
• Promotes world hunger by feeding nutritious corn and soybeans to animals
• Generates more greenhouse gases than any other human activity
• Generates more water pollution than any other human activity
• Creates a permanent "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico that dwarfs the BP oil spill
• Creates deadly antibiotic-resistant pathogens by feeding antibiotics to animals
• Creates epidemics of Salmonella, Listeria, and other infectious diseases
• Promotes mortality from diabetes, heart failure, stroke, cancer and other diseases
Now, that’s really scary. And this is why I am dropping animal products from my menu.