Native son returns to restore Dr. Green home in Georgetown

Brian Matthias to address Georgetown Historical Society March 3
Uncovered in the restoration, this original pass-through fireplace with original mantelpiece is in the center of the Dr. Stephen Green home. SOURCE SUBMITTED
February 21, 2014

The Dr. Stephen Green house on South Front Street in Georgetown is one of the town's oldest structures. The north portion of the house was built in the late 1700s shortly after the founding of Georgetown. In 1868, a three-story bay section was added when another home was moved and attached to the original house. Features of the house include six fireplaces and original rough-cut open beam rafter. Green was a physician and served as a magistrate in the mid 1800s.

Brian Matthias lived in Georgetown as a child, graduating from Sussex Central High School in 1976. He moved to Pennsylvania and established a thriving insurance agency, and he is now returning to the area and is in the process of renovating the Green House and plans to reside there.

The prior owner of the property accomplished some restoration, but the house has been unoccupied for 10 years.

Matthias will talk of the history of the structure, its unusual features, and his plans for the restoration at 7:30 p.m., Monday, March 3, at the Georgetown Historical Society. The public is invited to hear the presentation at the Marvel Carriage Museum at 510 South Bedford St. Georgetown. There is no charge to attend; parking is abundant, and refreshments will be served following the talk. For further information contact the Georgetown Historical Society at 302-855-9660.


Welcome to The Cape Gazette Archive.
This content is provided free of charge
thanks to our sponsor:

Close ad in...

Close Ad