JEWISH FAMILY SERVICES
Jewish Family Services of Delaware (JFS) supports individuals, families, and the community through counseling and support services. It is our mission to help and serve all Delawareans who are struggling to overcome life’s challenges and cope with difficult transitions—regardless of religion, race, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or special need.
JFS is here to ensure that members of our community have a place to go for help and support. We protect and honor your privacy but, most importantly, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality services available in our area.
The community trusts JFS to:
- Assist families through transitions such as divorce or the loss of a loved one.
- Help children grow stronger through therapeutic intervention, workforce development, and play therapy.
- Ensure that our beloved elders, including Holocaust Survivors and individuals with dementia, age safely at home and with dignity through our professional and volunteer support services.
- Guide families who are seeking direction, information, and expert advice on the best next steps to take with a loved one who is suffering or in need of support.
- Deliver the highest quality counseling and support services by experienced and licensed professionals.
Mental health impacts—and is impacted by—relationships with loved ones, stress at work, community crises, and many other factors. Whether you are struggling with anxiety or depression, grieving the loss of a loved one, going through a life transition, or simply managing your daily mental wellness, you don’t have to face it alone. JFS provides holistic outpatient counseling services including individual and family therapy, psychiatry and medical management, and specialized support groups to help you take charge of your life.
- Individual & Family Counseling
- Psychiatry & Medication Management
- Counseling for Substance Use & Co- occurring issues
- Play Therapy
- Community-Based Counseling
- School-Based Family Crisis Therapy
- Counseling for Older Adults
- Support groups for youth & teens, LGBTQIA+ teens, essential personnel, widows & widowers, and more
Through case management, advocacy, and resource connections, JFS helps individuals and families manage and achieve their goals. Through a variety of specialized programs and curricula, JFS provides the resources and empowerment to make lasting positive changes in the lives of those we serve.
JFS is committed to helping at-risk youth acquire competencies and build critical thinking and interpersonal skills that support healthy decision making. JFS’ Youth Services thread together workforce development training and case management services to provide youth the tools, knowledge, and sense of purpose they need to succeed.
FutureLink Workforce Development:
FutureLink is a collaborative classroom experience for students with a documented disability including career counseling and exploration, goal-setting, and case management. The curriculum also includes hands-on technology and soft skills training while working towards gaining employment.
JFS provides a seamless system of support, helping couples and families improve stability, navigate transitions, and access mental health services.
Refugee Integration Support Effort:
The Refugee Integration Support Effort (RISE) is JFS’ refugee resettlement and émigré support program, assisting new arrivals in Delaware. Through intensive, culturally sensitive case management and volunteer support, our team enables refugees to integrate into their new communities, obtain and retain employment and education opportunities, and maintain healthy lifestyles to achieve self-sufficiency.
Promoting Safe & Stable Families:
JFS is committed to strengthening and empowering families in crisis or transition. Our Family Consultant helps families identify support systems and develop action plans to reach critical personal goals. PSSF serves parents, caretakers, and/or foster parents with children under 18 years of age.
Other Family Support Services:
- SNAP Enrollment
- JFS Food Pantry
- Healing Hearts Co-Parenting Seminar
- Holiday Helpers (Gift Program)
Older Adult Services
JFS helps older adults maintain their independence and age with dignity in their own homes. We encourage older adults to engage in meaningful social activities and provide increased levels of support when they are challenged by illness, declining health, or hospitalization. With support from a network of JFS professionals, volunteers, and community partners, we help adult children care for and meet the needs of their aging parents.
COMPASS Dementia Care
COMPASS is a unique, interdisciplinary approach to dementia care. Led by a Geriatrician, the COMPASS team provides dementia-specific medical care to individuals with dementia and critical support to caregivers. We work closely with primary care providers to understand individual needs, honor your preferences, and address concerns in a personalized way.
Specifically, COMPASS services include:
- Dementia-Specific Medical Care
- Caregiver Support & Counseling
- Diagnostic Assessment & Medical Coordination
- Between-Visit Support
- Guidance for Long-Term Planning & End-of-Life Decisions
Care Navigation for Older Adults
- Caregiver and Family Consultation
- In-Home Assessment & Personalized Care Planning
- Medical Advocacy & Care Coordination
- Safe, Affordable Transportation
- Community Resources & Referrals
- Therapeutic Counseling
- Volunteer Companionship & Support
Other Older Adult Services:
- Memory Café Meetings
- Mental Health Counseling
- JFS Food Pantry
- Resident Services at B’nai B’rith House
JFS volunteers turn their values into action and make our community a better place to live. People of every age and from all walks of life generously give their time and talent to support the JFS mission. We encourage children and teens to volunteer, setting them on a path to a lifetime of compassion and service to others. For many local teens, a Mitzvah Project with JFS is a formative experience that connects them to our Jewish values of justice and service, helping them to build skills and confidence. Support from volunteers helps our community grow stronger.
- Refugee Integration Support Effort
- Companionship, Transportation, and Support for Older Adults
- JFS Food Pantry Drives and Organization
- Holiday Helpers (Gift Drives & Projects)
- Administrative Tasks & Projects
- Special Events
- Mitzvah Projects