JEWISH FAMILY SERVICES
Jewish Family Services of Delaware (JFS) is the heart and soul of social services for the Jewish community in Delaware. With a history spanning over 120 years, JFS is committed to our Jewish values: we are respectful and compassionate; champion diversity and inclusion; are open, transparent, and accountable; and pursue excellence in everything we do. It is our goal to help and serve all Delawareans who are struggling to overcome life’s challenges and cope with difficult transitions.
Our Mission: To strengthen individuals, families, and the community by providing counseling and support services.
Our Vision: A mentally, physically, and emotionally healthy community in which each person has equal access to high-quality support and the resources they need.
Our Promise: We provide comprehensive support to all, regardless of religion, race, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, or special need.
JFS is here to ensure that members of our community have a place to go for help and support. We protect and honor your privacy but, most importantly, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality services available in our area.
The community trusts JFS to:
- Assist families through transitions such as divorce or the loss of a loved one.
- Help children grow stronger through therapeutic intervention and play therapy.
- Ensure that our beloved elders, including Holocaust Survivors and individuals with dementia, age safely at home and with dignity through our professional and volunteer support services.
- Guide families who are seeking direction, information, and expert advice on the best next steps to take with a loved one who is suffering or in need of support.
- Deliver the highest quality counseling and support services by experienced and licensed professionals.
Mental health impacts—and is impacted by—relationships with loved ones, stress at work, community crises, and many other factors. Whether you are struggling with anxiety or depression, grieving the loss of a loved one, going through a life transition, or simply managing your daily mental wellness, you don’t have to face it alone. JFS provides holistic outpatient counseling services including individual and family therapy, psychiatry and medical management, and specialized support groups to help you take charge of your life.
- Individual and Family Counseling
- Psychiatry and Medication Management
- Counseling for Substance Use and Co-occurring issues
- Play Therapy
- Cancer-Specific Counseling and Resources
- Community-Based Counseling
- School-Based Family Crisis Therapy
- Counseling for Older Adults
- Support and Therapy Groups
Areas or Expertise Include (but are not limited to):
- Depression & Anxiety
- Behavioral Issues
- Grief & Loss
- Substance Use
- Marriage & Family
- Maternal Mental Health
Cancer Care Connection:
Cancer Care Connection, an affiliate of JFS, provides oncology-specific, psycho-social expertise for an effective and impactful response to the needs of cancer patients. Cancer Care Connection helps people affected by cancer navigate the full range of the issues they face, make informed decisions, and take action on their own behalf. Oncology Social Workers help cancer patients and their caring circle obtain the best possible outcome.
Helping the Helpers:
Helping the Helpers is a public wellness series addressing the stressors and challenges introduced by the COVID-19 Pandemic. Through interactive and engaging workshops, participants unpack and process stressors so they can learn and practice positive coping skills that focus on healing and well-being.
Through case management, advocacy, and resource connections, JFS helps individuals and families manage and achieve their goals. Offering a variety of specialized programs and a seamless system of support, JFS provides the resources and empowerment to make lasting positive changes in the lives of those we serve.
Care Navigation for Older Adults:
JFS helps older adults maintain their independence and age with dignity in their own homes. We encourage older adults to engage in meaningful social activities and provide increased levels of support when they are challenged by illness, declining health, or hospitalization. With support from a network of JFS professionals, volunteers, and community partners, we help adult children care for and meet the needs of their aging parents. Care Navigation services include:
- Caregiver & Family Consultation
- In-Home Assessment & Personalized Care Planning
- Medical Advocacy & Care Coordination
- Safe, Affordable Transportation
- Community Resources & Referrals
- Therapeutic Counseling & Geriatric Psychiatry
- Volunteer Companionship & Support
COMPASS Dementia Care & Caregiver Support:
COMPASS is a unique, interdisciplinary approach to dementia care. Led by a Geriatrician, the COMPASS team provides dementia-specific medical care to individuals with dementia and critical support to caregivers, including education, training, and counseling. We work closely with primary care providers to understand individual needs, honor your preferences, and address concerns in a personalized way. COMPASS services include:
- Dementia-Specific Medical Care
- Caregiver Support & Counseling
- Diagnostic Assessment & Medical Coordination
- Between-Visit Support
- Caregiver Support Groups & Resources
- Guidance for Long-Term Planning & End-of-Life Decisions
Employment Support Network:
The Employment Support Network is an innovative approach to supporting Delawareans who are struggling with the effects and challenges of unemployment. The program connects participants with reliable, trained volunteers who provide emotional support and wellness coaching, financial management training, and access to appropriate mental health resources.
Promoting Safe & Stable Families:
JFS is committed to strengthening and empowering families in crisis or transition. Our Family Consultant helps families identify support systems and develop action plans to reach critical personal goals. Promoting Safe & Stable Families serves parents, caretakers, and/or foster parents with children under 18 years of age.
Refugee Integration Support Effort:
The Refugee Integration Support Effort (RISE) is JFS’ refugee resettlement and émigré support program, assisting new arrivals in Delaware including refugees, asylees, international students, and other immigrants. Through intensive, culturally sensitive case management and volunteer support, our team enables those we serve to integrate into their new communities, obtain and retain employment and education opportunities, and maintain healthy lifestyles to achieve self-sufficiency. RISE services include:
- Resettlement & Integration
- Cultural Orientation
- Case Management & Support Groups
- Employment Mentors & Education Liaisons
- English Language Tutoring
- Social Services Referrals & Navigation
Other Support Services:
- Case Management for B’nai B’rith House Residents
- SNAP Enrollment & JFS Food Pantry
- Adoption Services
- Holiday Helpers (Gift Program)
- Community Education & Crisis Response
JFS volunteers turn their values into action and make our community a better place to live. People of every age and from all walks of life generously give their time and talent to support the JFS mission. We encourage children and teens to volunteer, setting them on a path to a lifetime of compassion and service to others. For many local students and families, volunteering with JFS is a formative experience that connects them to our Jewish traditions and values of justice and service, helping them to build skills and confidence. Support from volunteers helps our community grow stronger.
- Employment Support Network
- Refugee Integration Support Effort
- Companionship, Transportation, and Support for Older Adults
- JFS Food Pantry Drives and Organization
- Holiday Helpers (Gift Drives & Projects)
- Administrative Tasks & Projects
- Special Events
- Mitzvah Projects