More restrictions on bar service were announced Nov. 20 as Gov. John Carney formally released his latest executive order.
Bar service, which had been eased following Labor Day, will now be limited to parties of two as long as they are at least six feet away from other patrons. Dance floors, arcades and other open areas that had been recently opened are now closed for gathering.
The order formalized restrictions announced by Carney Nov. 17 that include limiting restaurants to 30 percent capacity from a previous 60 percent allowance, and requiring people working out at gyms to wear masks even when participating in aerobic activity.
The new limitations take effect at 8 a.m. Monday, Nov. 23. Carney also prohibited youth sports from hosting out-of-state tournaments starting Dec. 1, and the number of spectators at in-state competitions that are permitted must be limited to 50.
Individuals who participate in out-of-state tournaments must quarantine for 14 days upon returning to Delaware, the order states.
“These are difficult decisions, but we face a difficult and challenging winter,” said Carney in a press release. “COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations are rising in Delaware and across the country. More than 250,000 Americans have already lost their lives to this virus. We’re focused on protecting lives and targeting restrictions where we’re seeing spread of COVID-19. Let’s all do our part. Wear a mask. Avoid gatherings with anyone outside your household. Consider celebrating holidays a little differently this year. Stay vigilant and we’ll get through this.”
The order includes the following restrictions:
- Indoor gatherings in homes must be capped at no more than 10 people.
- Indoor gatherings at businesses or indoor spaces open to the public must be limited to the lesser of 30 percent of the venue’s stated fire code capacity, or 50 people.
- Services in houses of worship are limited to 30 percent of capacity, up to 100 people. Additional capacity may be permitted with a plan approved by the Delaware Division of Public Health by emailing HSPcontact@delaware.gov.
- Outdoor public gatherings are limited to 50 people. Additional capacity, up to a cap of 250 people, may be permitted with a plan approved by DPH.
- Restaurants must operate at no more than 30 percent of fire code capacity indoors, with allowances for additional outdoor seating. Additionally, parties sitting at the bar must not exceed two people.
- Delawareans must always wear face coverings in gyms.
- Carney’s order also prohibits Delaware youth sports organizations, teams and venues from hosting or participating in tournaments with out-of-state teams, effective at 8 a.m., Tuesday, Dec. 1. The order includes a provision prohibiting Delaware teams from traveling across states lines for tournaments.