It’s that time of year when the beautiful weather and warm sunshine beckons us outside. Millions of Americans depend on sunscreen for skin protection but are unaware of the negative aspects of most commercial products.
- FDA’s sunscreen rules have changed but products have not improved. - Although FDA regulations have increased for the sunscreen market, the FDA’s criteria are the weakest in the modern world. Learn more here.
- Don’t be fooled by high SPF- High SPF products have greater risks to health due to the increased concentrations of sun-filtering chemicals required to make these products. High SPF products are also often misused due to the misunderstanding that a higher SPF means one can stay in the sun for longer periods of time without reapplying.
- Stay away from Vitamin A - The cosmetic industry adds a form of vitamin A to many products including sunscreens. Federal studies indicate that this form of Vitamin A, often labeled “retinyl palmitate” or “retinol,” may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight. In addition to Vitamin A most sunscreens include a wide variety of other harmful chemicals that can disrupt hormones and cause skin allergies. Read more about these ingredients here.
Tips for reducing your risk of skin cancer:
- Do not use sunscreen as a tool to prolong your time in the sun and stay away from tanning beds
- Cover up! Hats, shirts and sunglasses are the best form of protection
- Avoid the noontime sun and sunburn.
- Pick a chemical free sunscreen with strong UVA protection
- Get Vitamin D – adequate levels can reduce risk of melanoma and combat other types of cancer
- Examine your skin for new moles that are tender or growing and have them examined by a dermatologist if they are of concern. Learn more about what to look for here.
The Skin Deep section of the EWG's website has invaluable information on which sunscreens are the safest and which are the most dangerous and why.
Keys Chemical Free Sunscreen Now Available at the Swier Clinic
Keys Solar Rx is a highly moisturizing 30 SPF+ sunscreen with Broad Spectrum UVA & UVB Protection. In addition to sun protection this product also: helps with skin irritations, is invisible under makeup, will not clog pores, will not sting eyes, will not stain or discolor and includes no Retinyl Palmitate.
This product is Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Chemical-Free, includes no preservatives and does not test on animals.
the Swier Clinic
1400 Savannah Road | Lewes, Delaware 19958
2600 Glasgow Avenue | Suite 102 | Newark, Delaware 19702-4777