Holding Title to A Condo
With condominiums becoming increasingly popular among today's home-buyers, particularly with vacation homes. I thought it would be helpful to clarify the terms of ownership that can confuse people when considering a condo purchase. Condo-type residences most commonly fall into two categories - condominiums and townhouses.
A condominium is usually a multi-story structure. Each owner-resident has a deed of ownership for his own unit and owns the space within the unit, but not the land under the structure. Therefore, condo units can be stacked vertically. Condo owners share title to the common areas of the development, including land, exterior of buildings, hallways, roofs and swimming pools -- all areas used by all occupants. Each owner pays property taxes on their unit. Also, a monthly fee is paid to the homeowners' association that is used for managing and maintaining all common areas.
A townhouse, or town home community is usually a series of single- or two-story housing units, each linked to each other horizontally by common walls. Each owner hold title to their unit and the land beneath it, thus these units cannot be stacked vertically. Typically, a townhouse unit will be a two-story residence, with the living area downstairs and bedrooms upstairs. Common areas belonging to the townhouse development are owned jointly. Each townhouse owner pays property taxes and association fees.
To Learn More, Call or text Bill Cullin at 302-841-7147
Your Real Estate Source at the Delaware Beaches
Toll Free: 1-800-GO-BEACH, ext. 117
Long and Foster | Christies International Real Estate
37156 Rehoboth Avenue Ext, Suite 5
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware 19971
• Top Individual Agent Long & Foster Rehoboth Office for 13 consecutive years
• Long & Foster’s Top Selling Individual Agent in the entire State of Delaware for 2 consecutive years
• Long & Foster’s Top Selling Individual Agent in the Coastal Region for 3 consecutive years
• Five Star Professional Award Winning Sales Agent (based on client surveys) for 7 consecutive years
• Member of Long & Foster’s Gold Team. Founders Club Level, with sales volume of 10 to 20 million dollars per year. For 6 consecutive years.
• Zillow.com and Trulia.com 5 Star Professional 10 Consecutive years with Best of Zillow designation be awarded last year. Click Here for see client reviews online
• Top Selling Agent at The Henlopen Condominiums over the past 13 years