Baseball game at Milton Colored School in 1952
This photograph from the spring of 1952 shows students and teachers at Milton Colored School gathered for a game of baseball. The school - designated as public school 196-C with the C standing for colored - was constructed in 1921 on property fronting on Route 16 in Milton east of the Route 5 intersection.
Delaware industrialist P.S. duPont funded construction of the school, one of 33 similar schools built in Sussex County, as part of his statewide program to upgrade public school facilities throughout the state. Milton Colored School was demolished a number of years ago after a roof collapsed, long after the school was no longer in use.
An historical marker along Route 16, near the Backyard Restaurant, now provides a sense of where the school once stood and its history.