DNREC announces hunting seasons opening in January

December 26, 2019

For hunters still looking to harvest a deer, firearm deer seasons opening in January provide the last chance to harvest deer during the 2019-20 hunting season.

Hunting seasons opening in January:

  • Brant: Jan. 4-27
  • Handgun Deer*: Jan. 4, Jan. 6-11, excluding Sundays, Jan. 5 and 12
  • Shotgun Deer*: Jan. 18-26, including Sundays
  • Muzzleloader Deer: Jan. 27-Feb. 2, including Sunday, Feb. 2

*Straight-wall, pistol-caliber rifles are allowed during the January handgun and shotgun deer seasons.

Numerous other hunting seasons remain open in January. Check the 2019-20 Delaware Hunting & Trapping Guide for more information.

DNREC’s Division of Fish & Wildlife offers many hunting opportunities on state wildlife areas.

A Delaware hunting license or License Exempt Number is required to hunt, and most waterfowl hunters must have a Delaware waterfowl (duck) stamp. More information on hunting license and Delaware waterfowl stamp requirements is available by searching Delaware Hunting Licenses. Waterfowl and other migratory game bird (except crow) hunters will need a Federal Harvest Information Program number. To register for a LEN or HIP number, hunters can call toll-free 1-855-335-4868. For hunters age 16 and older, a federal migratory bird stamp is also required to hunt waterfowl.

To purchase a hunting license, either in person or online, hunters born after Jan. 1, 1967, must have a basic hunter education safety course card/number. Hunters who took a Delaware hunter safety course in 2008 or later can print their hunter safety card by going to Hunters who took their Delaware hunter safety course before 2008 should call the Hunter Education Office at 302-735-3600, Ext. 1 to obtain a hunter safety card.

Registered motor vehicles used to access designated wildlife areas owned or managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife are required to display a Conservation Access Pass. Hunters can opt to receive one free annual CAP with the purchase of any Delaware hunting license. To obtain a CAP, hunters will need the registration card for the vehicle to which the pass will be assigned.

Delaware hunting licenses, Delaware waterfowl stamps, and Conservation Access Passes can be purchased online, at the license desk in DNREC’s office at 89 Kings Highway, Dover, and from hunting license agents statewide. Federal migratory bird stamps are available at U.S. post offices, Bombay Hook and Prime Hook national wildlife refuges, and online.

Subscribe to the Daily Newsletter