Dewey Beach’s annual July Fourth fireworks display has been canceled.
The celebration is put on every year by Highway One. In a Facebook post Tuesday, June 30, Highway One President Alex Pires said Gov. John Carney ordered the cancellation.
Earlier in the month, Pires exhibited the permit he received from the Office of the State Fire Marshal allowing the show. As recently as two days ago, Pires said on Facebook the show will continue.
The Cape Gazette published a full-page ad in its June 30 edition announcing Highway One was working with local and state officials, agencies and law enforcement to “produce the safest and most socially distanced show possible.”