Reading the Cape Gazette at the Assateague Lighthouse
Recently, on a gorgeous winter day, Karen Ferguson of Lewes visited Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is located on the southern end of Assateague Island and is home to all kinds of wildlife, birds and the Chincoteague pony.
The Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge is also home of the Assateague Lighthouse. The original lighthouse was constructed in 1833, at a cost of approximately $55,000, to warn ocean travelers of the dangerous shoals offshore. In 1860, construction began on a taller, more powerfully illuminated brick lighthouse. Unfortunately, work was delayed by the Civil War. Once the war was over, the work resumed and the lighthouse completed in 1867.
Karen is shown reading the latest edition of the Cape Gazette while the candy cane-striped lighthouse stands tall behind her.