Rehoboth Beach Country Club’s original nine-hole layout
With temperatures consistently breaking 60 degrees, golf courses throughout the Cape Region are beginning to fill up. Rehoboth Beach Country Club was once located within the city’s limits. On 65 acres of what is now known as Country Club Estates south of Rehoboth Avenue, bordering on Scarborough Avenue down to Silver Lake, Rehoboth Beach Country Club was home to a nine-hole layout from 1925 until 1966, when the current 18-hole championship course and clubhouse were completed on the Rehoboth Bay. According to RBCC’s website, the original layout was described as sporty and boasted a clubhouse renovated from an old farmhouse that was part of the original property. Also worth noting from this 1936 aerial photograph taken by Dallin Aerial Surveys is the future location of Rehoboth Elementary on the property with the oval track. Construction on the original building, which served as a high school and elementary school, began in 1939. That building was demolished in 2019. A bridge across Silver Lake to what appears to be a green is located very close to the existing Turtle Bridge behind the Rehoboth Elementary property.