Work is underway to beautify the grounds of Rehoboth Public School, which was demolished in December 2019.
The space that once housed the school, more recently Rehoboth Elementary School, will now offer basketball and pickle ball courts and amenities such as a pavilion, benches and outdoor classroom seating. An archway with the school’s original name and 1939 cornerstone will overlook a sidewalk made with the sand-colored bricks of the old school, leading to Turtle Bridge.
In February, about 150 former students, teachers and community members returned to the site to claim a salvaged brick from the beloved school.
Known once as Rehoboth High School, the school later housed junior high and elementary students after consolidation of Rehoboth, Lewes and Milton school districts formed Cape Henlopen School District in 1969.
Prior to its demolition, Cape district officials hosted a final open house and tour of the old school, and Rehoboth High alumni from classes 1945-72 held a reunion in the school gym. Wood from the gym floor was repurposed and installed in the new elementary school’s history room.
The new Rehoboth Elementary School opened its doors in September 2019.