The Episcopal Parish of All Saints’ Church & St. George’s Chapel will hold a special service at St. George’s Chapel at 8:30 a.m., Sunday, May 19. Known as Rogation Sunday, this day traditionally celebrates the blessing of the fields, seeds, farming implements, and animals, as well as boats, nets and bait – all acknowledging the dependence on God throughout the production cycles on the farm and on the sea.
The site of St. George’s Chapel, founded in 1719, was chosen in the early 18th century for convenience of access. It was built on a stream which was then navigable by boats through Brachey’s Branch of Herring Creek, now called Burton’s Prong, and served many in the surrounding rural farming communities. The long-standing tradition of a Rogation Service at the chapel is credited to the Rev. Joseph C. Wood, who was the priest in charge from 1931-1936. Although this is no longer a predominantly rural society, there is a common reality all share, no matter what they produce, and that is dependence on the Lord’s bounty. All gather to ask God’s blessing upon the means used to produce goods.
The parish welcomes all who wish to attend and participate. A speaker from the tribe will present a short history of the Nanticoke Indians, as well as a historical connection with St. George’s, where some were baptized at St. George’s Chapel in the 18th century. A program of tribal dances will take place, followed by a meal of traditional Native American foods.
St. George’s Chapel is at 20274 Beaver Dam Road (Route 23) near Harbeson, five miles from Five Points. For more information, call 302-227-7202 or go to www.allsaintsandstgeorges.org.