The Delaware State Society Daughters of the American Colonists met at Harpoon Hanna's Restaurant in Fenwick Oct. 12.
DAC members presented a $1,000 contribution to Winnie Lewis, president of Friends of the Fenwick Lighthouse. In operation since 1859, this Delaware landmark can be seen for 13 miles out to sea. Also on the lighthouse property is the easternmost marker of the trans-peninsular line surveyed in 1751 by Mason and Dixon.
The Delaware State Society Daughters of the American Colonists was formally organized Oct. 20, 1948, with 21 founding members. Nineteen of them were new members and two were transfers. Following a visit to the circa 1698 Old Swedes Church in Wilmington, a luncheon meeting was held at the Hotel DuPont. Mary Elizabeth Webber was the society's first state regent.