The Lewes Junction Railroad & Bridge Association announced public tours of its red caboose will begin at 10 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 6. Tours will continue from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the first and third Sunday of each month through December, weather permitting.
Participants can view the interior of the recently restored 1917 Pennsylvania Railroad cabin car, located in in Stango Park at Lewes Junction, between the Lewes Public Library and the Lewes History Museum at the Rollins Community Center.
Cabin car is the designation PRR assigned to its cabooses that served as a home away from home for the railroad crew members. This caboose was on the last revenue train to operate between Georgetown and Lewes in December 2017 prior to decommissioning of the rail track by Delaware Department of Transportation.
The association purchased the car from Delaware Coast Line Railroad in December 2021. After undergoing cosmetic restoration to approximate its original look, PRR 477123 was moved from Georgetown to the newly restored track at Lewes Junction in December 2022. Finishing touches, such as historically accurate decals, were applied on site. A ceremony was held on National Train Day, May 13, to christen and officially introduce the red caboose to the community.
The mission of LJRBA is to preserve, display and interpret the historical significance of the railroad to Lewes and eastern Sussex County in an authentic and appealing setting for the education and enjoyment of the public.
For more information, go to lewesjunctionrr.org.