As part of the Georgetown East Gateway road improvement project, a section of Sand Hill Road Hill Road will be closed for about a month for construction of a roundabout at the entrance to the Warren L. & Charles C. Allen Jr. CHEER Community Center.
The $14.6 million project includes the realignment of Airport Road and Sand Hill Road at the Route 9 intersection with abandonment of a section of Airport Road. The project got a boost with a $7 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) Grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Utility relocation began in spring 2020 with construction getting underway this past fall. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.
Other project features include traffic signal enhancements, road repaving, turn lanes, bike lanes, sidewalks, crosswalks and new lighting.
The intersection provides access to Delaware Coastal Airport, Sussex Academy, CHEER Community Center and Sandhill Fields.
Other major DelDOT work planned
Six other major DelDOT projects are scheduled to start construction over the next two years.
• Route 1/Route 16 grade-separated interchange, 2021-24.
• Route 24/Mount Joy Road and Route24/Bay Farm Road intersection improvements, spring 2021-23.
• Route 24 at Route 5/Route 23 intersection improvements, spring 2021-22.
• Old Orchard Road/Wescoats Road realignment, 2022-25.
• Plantation Road improvements from Robinsonville Road to Route 9, Phase 1, 2022-23.
• Munchy Branch Road multiuse trail/sidewalk, Phase 1, fall 2021 to end of year.
Already under construction is a project to widen Route 24 to four lanes with a center turn lane from Route 1 to Mulberry Knoll Road, which is expected to be completed in 2022.
Four other major interchange projects are planned to begin over the next five years:
• Route 1/Minos Conaway Road near Lewes, 2023-25.
• Route 1/Cave Neck Road between Lewes and Milton, 2025-26.
• Route 113/Route 404, Georgetown, 2024-26.
• Route 113/Route 16, Ellendale, 2027-29.