Share: 

SoberLift program provides free Lyft vouchers during July 4th holiday

Lyft codes for Dewey, Rehoboth, Lewes, Bethany, Fenwick Island riders
June 29, 2018

A new program aims to reduce the number of DUI-related crashes and fatalities during the July 4th holiday week.

The Delaware Office of Highway Safety launched its SoberLift pilot program, a partnership with the ridesharing company Lyft, July 28 at The Starboard. From Saturday, June 30 to Saturday, July 6, OHS will provide a limited number of free Lyft codes with a maximum value of $15 for individuals who want a safe ride.

“Here at the beach we have a lot of people drinking and partying,” said Mitch Topal, OHS marketing specialist and public information officer. “We want to make sure they stay safe.”

The codes can only be retrieved and used from 4 p.m. to 2 a.m. To receive a free code, people will need to install the Lyft mobile app. Then, they’ll text “soberlift” to 99000 and receive a reply text with the daily Lyft code. They enter the code into the app when they call for a ride and it credits their account up to $15. If the ride costs more, they will pay the difference. The program will be geo-fenced to include Dewey, Rehoboth, Fenwick, Bethany and Lewes; people outside those areas will not be able to use the codes.

Dewey Beach Mayor T.J. Redefer said launching the program in Dewey makes sense.

“We’re a lively beach town, and we’re really glad to be part of this program,” Redefer said. “I commend the state for taking the initiative to make sure all Delawareans are safe.”

Jana Simpler, OHS director, advised users to download the Lyft app now.

“Far too many tragedies are caused by impaired driving,” Simpler said. “Our goal is to make sure Delawareans arrive alive and enjoy a good Fourth of July.”

Simpler hopes to expand the program to other cities in the future.

Topal said last year, there were 3,997 DUI arrests, 1,047 DUI crashes and 38 DUI fatalities in Delaware. Of those, 29 DUI crashes occurred during the July 4th holiday week. Topal said OHS modeled the SoberLift program after a successful Washington, D.C., area program, and chose Lyft because of the company’s experience partnering with agencies in similar programs. He said OHS raised $9,500 in donations to purchase 633 $15 Lyft vouchers for use over the July 4th holiday.

Delaware State Police Master Cpl. Melissa Jaffe said impaired driving causes a huge impact on travelers.

“Around July 4th, we have many more motorists on the road,” Jaffe said. “Our goal is to make our roadways as safe as possible.”

Jaffe said motorists should ensure all riders are properly restrained, plan for a safe ride home, designate a safe driver and take the keys of any friends who are impaired and ensure they get a safe ride home.

Delaware Insurance Commissioner Trinidad Navarro, a retired New Castle County police officer, said the program will save lives.

“I know how difficult it is to knock on someone’s door and tell someone their loved one has been hurt or killed in a crash,” Navarro said. “Parents shouldn't have to bury their children.”

Starboard owner Steve “Monty” Montgomery said in recent years, bar patrons have taken more precautions when it comes to impaired driving.

“Nothing in all my years in the bar business has changed as much as ride-share apps,” Montgomery said. “About 12:30 every weekend night, we see Uber, Lyft, taxis and the Jolly Trolley lined up around the corner to get people home safely.”

SoberLift sponsors include The Starboard, Dewey Business Partnership, Bluecoast Seafood Grill & Raw Bar, Allstate, Wilmington Blue Rocks, the Delaware Department of Insurance, Grain Bar, Aloysius Butler & Clark, and Deardorff Associates.

For more information, please visit ohs.delaware.gov  and www.arrivealivede.com/Drive-Sober