Representatives of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church congregation gathered Sept. 20 to dedicate a new front portico for the church. While included in the original design for the building, a portico was not built when this third house of worship was completed in 1858.
A portico has been included as part of Phase One of the Open Door capital campaign to renovate St. Peter’s and expand its ministries. Actual construction on the portico will begin soon. The architect for the design was Brennon Bickel of Element Design Group of Lewes.
The new portico was presented by parish wardens Sue Potts and Tracy Mulveny. It was blessed by the rector of St. Peter’s Church, the Rev. Jeffrey Ross, as part of the brief liturgy.
The portico was designated in honor of one of St. Peter’s longest and most stalwart members, Thomas Rowland Marshall III, by the vestry, or leadership council of the church. Rowland is a retired river pilot, former member of the choir and honorary co-chair of the Open Door campaign. His faithful and loving service to the church has spanned more than nine decades. His family continues to be involved in the life of the congregation to this day. Members of his family and of the choir were present for the dedication.
The Open Door capital campaign is a two-phase effort to refurbish, augment and enhance St. Peter’s square to continue to serve the community of Lewes and the membership of St. Peter’s. Phase One will expand the church worship space, and Phase Two will expand the parish hall. Community contributions to this campaign are gratefully accepted and can be mailed to the church via P.O. Box 464, Lewes, DE 19958.