BELHAVEN SURF CLUB BOMBED OUT
1940 ARMY PRACTICE BOMBING AT CAPES
At Cape Henlopen, the army has chosen four miles of shoreline dunes to drop practice bombs and strafing with machine guns targets laid out on the isolated sand dunes for pilot training. It is known that the Army has their eyes on all of the 1500 acres of isolated coastal dunes of Delaware seashore.
However, right in the center of all the isolated dunes sits the Belhaven Surf Club, once the Lewes Coast guard station, which fishermen from Wilmington and Dover come to spend the weekends. Steve Pierce is the manager of the clubhouse which has bedrooms, a lounge, recreation rooms and a large dance hall. He knows the Army soon will take over the Belhaven and include it in Fort Miles as an Officers Club.
Mr. Pierce smiles a bit when he contemplates how the government is going to pay big money to buy back the outdated Coast Guard Station he bought and moved to Cape Henlopen as the Belhaven Surf Club.
Abstract: Saturday, December 28, 1940, The Times & Democrat newspaper.