Indian River School District will host two public meetings for senior citizens to explain the district’s upcoming referendum and highlight available tax-assistance programs.
Meetings will be held at 10 a.m., Wednesday, Jan. 23, at Indian River High School and at 10 a.m., Thursday, Jan. 24, at Sussex Central High School. Both meetings will be held in the school auditorium.
The two-question referendum is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 5.
The first question will seek funding to construct a new Sussex Central High School, an eight-classroom addition at Indian River High School and a four-classroom addition at Selbyville Middle School.
District officials say the maximum property tax increase to fund the district’s 40 percent local share of construction, $63 million, is 35 cents per $100 of assessed value. The remaining 60 percent, $95 million, will be funded by the state.
The second will ask residents to approve funding for expenses for a high school and elementary school, including staffing, curriculum, supplies, transportation and utility expenses.
District officials say a property tax increase of 9 cents per $100 of assessed value is needed to fund these initiatives, expected to cost nearly $1.5 million.
Combined, school officials say the referendum will increase property taxes, on average, by $87.55.
Call 302-436-1079 or go to irsd.net/referendum.