Will They Ripen?
You bet! Not only did these little backyard garden gems gradually ripen, they’ve provided good eating in soups and salads through winter chill and January thaw. Here they are in a tasty BUTTER BEAN SOUP:
- 1 cup each finely chopped-onion, carrots, celery
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans butter beans drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 or 2 squirts hot sauce
- 1 or 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen greens
In a soup pot soften onions, carrots, and celery in a few tablespoons of water. Stir in the flour. Add water stirring until smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until thickened (about 20 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Use a can of chopped tomatoes if you don’t have ripened garden tomatoes.)
Enjoy this hearty soup.