Chipotle evacuated, leaking carbon dioxide tank secured

August 1, 2023

Editor’s note: The original report stated the evacuation was in response to a carbon monoxide leak. 

The Chipotle Restaurant near Rehoboth Beach was evacuated Aug. 1 in connection with a carbon dioxide leak.

The Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Co. responded to the Tanger Outlets restaurant at 11:02 a.m. and found a leaking carbon dioxide tank inside, said Warren Jones of the RBVFC.

Firefighters secured the tank, he said, and five employees were transported to Beebe Healthcare with nonlife-threatening injuries. The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control and Delaware State Police were notified, and units were on scene for about an hour ventilating the building and treating the employees.

Subscribe to the Daily Newsletter