A fun day on Lightship Overfalls

Volunteers provide navigation projects and tours of historic Lewes vessel
August 19, 2021

The Lightship Overfalls Foundation hosted a family fun day with a theme centered around navigation Aug. 18 on the historic ship docked in Canalfront Park in Lewes. The museum ship has been completely restored by a dedicated group of volunteers called the Dirty Hands Gang, who got to work during the summer of 1999. It’s one of a small number of restored lightships open to the public.

The lightship in Lewes was in service as the Cornfield from 1938 to 1957 off the coast of Connecticut, the Cross Rip from 1958 to 1962 off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, and then as the Boston from 1962 to 1972 in Boston Harbor. When it was donated by the U.S. Coast Guard to the Lewes Historical Society in 1973, it was renamed Overfalls to commemorate the closest lightship station to Lewes. That station at the mouth of Delaware Bay was in service from 1898 to 1960.

See a complete history of the National Historic Landmark at

Subscribe to the Daily Newsletter