Replacing the Rehoboth Boardwalk in the 1980s
A lot of work goes into making the Rehoboth Boardwalk one of the premier oceanfront attractions on the East Coast.
In this image from about 1980, city employees replace boards just south of Rehoboth Avenue. The landscape may look a bit familiar, as the buildings are all the same.
Grotto Pizza still occupies the same unit, plus a few more toward Rehoboth Avenue. The Funnel Cake Factory now occupies the space where the fudge and taffy store is, while the five and dime shop is now Tidal Rave’s 5 & 10. An ice cream sign can be seen near the end of the building. That’s home to Starkey’s Cones.
Gus & Gus has been on the corner of Wilmington Avenue and the Boardwalk since 1956. On the other side of Wilmington Avenue in this photo is the Sun View Motel, which was converted to a restaurant space and is now Above the Dunes. The space underneath is home to Thrasher’s French Fries, Playland arcade and Kohr Bros. ice cream.