Build a Basic Bean Burger
Burger season has arrived! Let’s try something different. Let’s move meat off our plates and try a bean burger buffet.
I’m a fan of Jeff Novick, plant-based dietitian and chef par excellence! He makes a quick and easy bean burger with only five ingredients. Once you’ve mastered the basics, the variations are endless.
Here’s Jeff’s basic burger recipe:
- 1 14-ounce can no salt added kidney beans
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons canned diced tomatoes no salt added
- Spice, seasonings of your choice
- Mash kidney beans by hand with a potato masher (do not use a blender or food processor).
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Divide into four or five equal parts and shape each part into a burger.
- Let sit for a few minutes in the refrigerator to set.
- Grill or broil on each side until golden brown.
- By varying the beans, the starch, the moisture and/or the spices, you can come up with an endless variety of burgers. For example, double the recipe and make Pinto beans the second can of beans, add the oats and rice, add corn salsa instead of tomatoes, use Mexican seasoning and you have a Mexican Burger. That’s what we did and we had a winner! Now bring on the onions, salsa, avocado, lettuce, condiments and whole grain buns. You’ll never miss the meat!